How to Prepare Detergent Powder at Home?
Have you ever thought of making your own detergent powder? There is nothing to it. You can have a home-made laundry product easily. Read this step-by-step method of preparing a home detergent by our dry cleaners in Kensington and try it on a sunday afternoon. It guarantees to clean your clothes leaving a fresh scent as per your choice.
What you require:
- 2 soap bars – any you want, we prefer Dove for its smooth texture
- Baking soda – 1 cup
- Soda crystals – 1 cup (you can easily get it from a large super market)
- White vinegar
- Essential oils – a few drops as per your choice ( Our preference is lavender)
How it’s done:
- At first, grate the soap bars using a cheese grater; be careful with your fingers as it gets slippery when reduced to the end.
Make sure you wash your grater properly before you use it again for the cheese sandwich.
- Put the grated soap in a food processor and add soda crystals, baking soda and a few drops of essential oils you chose.
As many drops of lavender you want for the freshness and scent.
- Blend the ingredients a few times until you get a fine mixture. Consistency is an important factor to be noted: if you blend it less, it will form lumps that might stick to your clothes remaining undissolved.
In case you blend it too much, the mixture will again turn into a bar. For a better dry cleaning experience, your target should be a powdery and smooth mixture.
How to use it?
When you are about to try your hand-made detergent, take 2-3 tablespoons of the powder per load. Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the softener container of your washing machine. You can use this product with any cycle in your machine for better results.
If you are looking forward to a much more expert cleaning, handover the responsibility to our professional dry cleaners in South Kensington. We provide pick up and deliver laundry service ensuring the safety and maintenance of your priced clothes and fabrics.